Saturday, December 1, 2012

An Anthology of Looking: Stephan Moccio - Life

I prefer to be able to sing a song, hence instrumentals have never been my favorite. OK, there are times when you want to just lie back and enjoy or feel the song, but I never been good at just 'enjoying' or 'feeling' a song: I want to be able to 'think about' the song. Hence mere instruments falter me. 

Stephan Moccio, an artist I came to know by chance, is able to make me think about his songs though. A pianist, composer, producer, arranger, conductor and recording artist, he has worked with the likes of Celine Dion, Sarah Brightman, Chantal Kreviazuk, Hayley Westenra, Olivia Newton-John, Seal, Randy Jackson, Joshua Payne, Mario Frangoulis, The Canadian Tenors, and RyanDan. 

Each of his three albums has 20+ tracks (!): almost half are less than 2.5 minutes in duration, a huge percentage of which are less than 1.5 minute. Perfect intermezzos without getting me bored! Just like the breeze: sometimes a quick, gentle breeze is all you need to revive yourself rather than a continuous wind that could leave you gasping for air. If you know what I mean :). 

His tracks with longer duration are a feast to the ears though, and to me a nourishment to the soul. One particular song that I'm very fond of, one that gets me to 'think' of is titled Life - it appears on Stephan's 2nd album Colors (2006), and re-appears on the newest Elements (2012). Everytime I hear the song, I don't just think about the song, but I am able to feel it, enjoy it. I meditate on the song, I can  drown myself in it. It's a song that literally can blow me away. 

http://stephanmoccio.com/music/